Over 1000 cyclists will be riding on Friday as part of the 2017 Ride of Champions organised by Qatar Cyclists Centre. The organisers have therefore requested the motorists to drive carefully.
The cyclists will take the roads from Qatar Foundation via Dukhan highway to Shahaniya, Otouriyah and Jumailiyah.
The caution signs will alert the motorists at intersections from 6.30am to 11.30am. Apart from the signs, five police cars and 10 motor bikes of traffic marshalls will be overseeing the event.
It is Qatar’s largest mass participation event with over 1000 participants from more than 50 countries.
The event aims to include the entire cycling community of the country, by offering various route distances for young and old, families as well as novices to experienced cyclists.
The organisers have issued following tips to motorists and cyclists:
For motorists, while driving around cyclists
– Drive slow and with enough free space when overtaking cyclists
– Be careful of marshals and police officers on route
– Allow cyclist to pass infront before turning onto road
– If passing cyclist, allow more than 1.5M gap between you and cyclist
– Don’t take any unnecessary risks
For cyclists, while riding around motorists
– Waive thank you to courteous drivers
– Don’t accelerate to prevent cars turning or changing lanes
– Be mindful of traffic and don’t take unnecessary risks
– Ride two by two in columns
– Stay in the inside lane to allow space to pass