Saturday , November 18 2017
Home / Qatar / Former Official Claims That UAE Considered Attacking Qatar With US-Trained Mercs

Former Official Claims That UAE Considered Attacking Qatar With US-Trained Mercs

Qatar’s former deputy Prime Minister, Abdullah bin Hamad al-Attiyah, revealed that the UAE had apparently planned a military invasion of Qatar with thousands of US-trained mercenaries, but the plan got derailed due to lack of support from the US.

He said that the UAE hired a ‘Blackwater-linked’ private security contractor to train the mercenaries, referring to the notorious American company that is now called Academi.

The training was given, keeping in mind the invasion of Qatar and topple the emir. The plan was reportedly prepared before the crisis, but it never got materialised as the US President Trump did not approve the plan.

An unidentified official source told that the mercs had received training at an Emirati military base in Abu Dhabi.

In September, sources close to Trump revealed that Saudi Arabia and the UAE had been considering the use of force in the initial stages of the dispute with Qatar before Trump warned them to back off.

Additionally, a leaked email sent by the Emirati Ambassador to the US Yousef al-Otaiba to former US diplomat Elliot Abrams also showed that Saudi had come close to ‘conquering’ Qatar.

About Abishek

Check Also

UN Team Reaches Qatar To Examine Siege Impact

A technical delegation from the UN arrived in Qatar on a five day visit to …

Skip to toolbar