Qatar is going through a major change in their laws in the recent times. The labour laws are exclusively meant to govern expats coming to Qatar for work. With expats making up twice the number of Qataris in the country Qatar aims to make sure these foreign workers are safe working here and that they in turn maintain the peace and standards in the country.
Of late, with the FIFA 2022, Qatar has been criticized for apparently creating human rights violations against laborers. To avoid any such incidents happening in the future Qatar has amended its Labor law to make changes that is more accommodating to expats.
1. New law will make employment and stay of expatiates entirely contract-based.
2. Issued on October 27, the law has replaced the Kafala (sponsorship) system with a contract-based system and cancelled the exit permit system.
3. QR10,000 to QR25,000 fine for keeping passport of expatriate employee.
4. The law has removed the two-year period required for an expatriate worker to return to the country to take up a new job, after his departure.
5. No approval from former employer if he is recruited by a new employer.
6. Worker who has got a new contract to work in Qatar can come back even on the next day.
7. The law also allows expatriate workers to change jobs subject to conditions.
8. Expatriate workers with fixed job contracts can change their work and sign new contracts if they wish so at the end of the contract period. For this they don’t need approval from their current employer.
9. However, an approval is needed from the Ministry of Interior and the Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs
10. All employment contracts of all expatriate workers who are already here will be replaced with new contracts by the end of this year.
11. Date he has signed the fresh employment contract will be the date from his contract would be counted.
12. Closed contracts shall not exceed a period of five years.
13. Exit permit will not be required for travel it will become invalid with enforcement of new law.
14. To leave country employee needs to inform his employer before three days and apply through in Metrash 2 system.
15. Employees with Open-ended contracts can move to another employer after spending a minimum of five years with the first employer.
16. An expat can also change to another sponsor with the approval of MOI and MOLSA if the sponsor is dead or the company no longer exists for any reason.
17. QR50,000 fine and jail terms of up to three years for recruiters who allow their employees to work for other parties without prior official approval.
18. The law has stipulated that in case of an emergency, the worker can leave immediately after notifying the employer and by approval of the authorities concerned