The most awaited smartphone from old favorite, Nokia, is finally ready to hit the shelves! It has entered the flagship segment with its 8 and the features are exciting! After surprisingly good mid-range devices, the company is up against the big boys with its all new Nokia 8.
Nokia 8 – Specifications
The device has been rumored for a while and was even seen in leaks. So first up let’s confirm the specifications.
- Networks: GSM/WCDMA/TDS-CDMA/LTE
- Network speed:LTE Cat. 9, 3CA, 450Mbps DL/50Mbps UL
- Available in single SIM and dual SIM variants
- OS:Android Nougat 7.1.1
- Chipset:Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 835 Mobile Platform MSM8998 (4* 2.45GHz Qualcomm® Kryo™ + 4* 1.8GHz Kryo)
- Storage:64GB internal memory with external micro-SD card slot (support up to 256 GB)
- Form factor:Splashproof IP54 touch monoblock with capacitive system keys
- Display:3” IPS LCD QHD 2560 x 1440, 700nts screen brightness, Corning® Gorilla® Glass 5, 2.5D Glass
- Camera (Primary with ZEISS optics):13MP (Colour + OIS) + 13MP (Mono), 1.12um, f/2.0, 76.9˚, PDAF, IR range finder, dual tone flash
- Camera (Front-facing with ZEISS optics):13MP PDAF, 1.12um, f/2.0, 78.4˚, display flash
- Connectivity & Sensors:Type C, USB3.1 Gen 1 (5Gbps), 3.5mm headphone jack, Ambient light sensor, Proximity sensor, Accelerometer, E-compass, Gyroscope, Fingerprint Sensor, Hall sensor, Barometer, 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (MIMO), BT 5.0, GPS/AGPS+GLONASS+BDS, NFC, ANT+
- Battery:Integrated 3090 mAh battery with Qualcomm® Quick Charge™ 3.0 compatible (18W, 5V/2.5A, 9V/2A, 12V/1.5A)
- Audio:MP3,M4A, AAC,OGG,WAV,AMR,AWB(AMR-WB),FLAC,MIDI(MID,MIDI,XMF, MXMF,IMY,RTTTL,RTX,OTA)
- Video:MP4, 3GP, 3G2, AVI, MKV, WEBM
- Dimensions:5 x 73.7 x 7.9mm (camera bump 0.4mm)
Nokia 8 – Camera
Apart from keeping two 13MP cameras on the back which were engineered with ZEISS optics, Nokia has a few tricks up their sleeve to keep up with competition.
No more selfies, its ‘Bothies’ now
Nokia says ‘there are two sides to every story’. The Nokia 8 will come with a feature called Dual-Sight video which will enable users to livestream video natively as well as in real-time to social media feeds such as Facebook and YouTube.
Nokia 8 users will enjoy unlimited storage for their photos and videos on their devices using Google Photos.
Nokia 8 – What is OZO Audio?
The flagship Nokia device will also come with OZO Audio where they claim they’re ‘placing exclusive Hollywood technology in the palm of your hand.
OZO Audio will combine the device’s three microphones with ‘exclusive’ Nokia acoustic algorithms to capture audio with immersive 360° spatial surround sound.
It is still not clear if the feature is only for 4K recording or will be supported by HD video too but Nokia did state that ‘binaural codecs enable high fidelity playback even on devices without OZO Audio’ meaning that if you share your videos with OZO Audio to other devices, they’ll still enjoy the same audio quality.
Nokia 8 – Processing Prowess
One thing that makes me real happy about the Nokia 8 is that Nokia didn’t compromise on processing power. The Nokia 8 comes with the tried and testing Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 processor.
Nokia also claim that the 8 will not face any heating issues thanks its the device’s ‘full-length graphite shielded copper cooling pipe that dissipates the heat generated by the high performing system across the full length and breadth of the handset’.
Thanks to the Snapdragon 835, the Nokia 8 also comes with Quick Charge 3.0. Considering the device’s battery is only 3090 mAh, looks like you might need it.
Nokia 8 – Android Purity
Let’s be honest, we all hate bloatware. The Nokia ‘experience’ comes with none. Adding the fact that the Snapdragon 835 us on board, Android 7.1.1 in an almost vanilla form will be a breeze to use. This will also make it easier for Nokia to regularly send updates and security-patches to their devices.
Nokia 8 – Price and Availability
Nokia 8 will be available in four colours: Polished Blue, Polished Copper, Tempered Blue and Steel and will be available at a global retail price of €599 (Dh2585.47) with roll out throughout September.
There is no specific news about Qatar at the moment. Local prices will vary, and should be announced over the next few weeks.