Monday , November 20 2017
Home / Qatar / FM: It will take a "lot of time" to rebuild trust between GCC

FM: It will take a "lot of time" to rebuild trust between GCC

GCC, trust, blockade, saudi, bloc, ties
The Foreign Minister said regional relations had been permanently changed by the siege

Foreign Minister H E Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani said yesterday that it will take a “lot of time” to rebuild any trust between fighting GCC members because of the region’s continuing diplomatic crisis.

As the stalemate between Doha and four Arab states led by Saudi Arabia entered its 11th week, the Foreign Minister said regional relations had been permanently changed by the siege.

“Qatar has always been one of the founders of the GCC organisation and we still consider that this has a great importance for all of us in the region,” he told reporters.

Created in 1981, the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) is a political and economic union comprised of Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.

“This organisation has been built on a strategical security and been built on trust. Unfortunately, what happened lately with this crisis, this factor is missing now and needs a lot of time to rebuild the trust again.

“We hope that it’s restored.”

Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, UAE and Egypt cut ties with Qatar on June 5 and imposed sanctions including restrictions travel and economic bans.

The Foreign Minister highlighted that the conflict was pointless. “Such a crisis is not needed in our region, we have enough problems and enough conflict. “A region like the Gulf region, which was considered the most stable region in the Arab world is now destabilised because… of a crisis without a solid foundation.” However, he added that diplomatic efforts led by regional mediator Kuwait were continuing and were appreciated.

“We have received a letter from the Emir of Kuwait a few days ago. And this letter is a continuous effort… to encourage the parties to engage in dialogue.”
Despite this, Sheikh Mohammed said Qatar is yet to hear from the aggressors.

“Put up your claims and put up your evidence. We told them (Arab bloc) anywhere you want, whatever evidence you have, just put it on the table.

“Now its been 72 days since the first day of their measures and we have not been provided with a single document.” The minister said.

 

 

 

About Savitha

Check Also

UN Team Reaches Qatar To Examine Siege Impact

A technical delegation from the UN arrived in Qatar on a five day visit to …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Skip to toolbar