The UK has reportedly stripped more than 150 jihadists and criminals of their British citizenship, and banned them from returning back to the country.
According to the Sunday Times, ministers have stepped up the ‘deprivation orders’ ahead of fears the collapse of the Islamic State could lead to an influx of militants.
Those who have been barred include fighters and ‘jihadi brides’ who travelled to Syria.
A senior security source told the Sunday Times newspaper that intelligence agencies have found an awful lot of people who will ‘never be coming home again’ adding that over 40 suspects had been stripped of their citizenship this year alone.
The Government increased its use of ‘deprivation orders’ because it feared the collapse of Islamic State would lead to an influx of militants from Syria.
Everyone who’ve lost their citizenship are dual nationals as ministers cannot take away citizenship if it would lead a suspect stateless.
The security minister, Ben Wallace, said:
“Prosecution and conviction is always our preference for dealing with terrorists.
Tpims (Terrorism prevention and investigation measures) are one of a range of powers at our disposal to disrupt terrorism-related activity where prosecution is not possible.”
Last week, The Home Office revealed that just six suspects in Britain who cannot be deported or prosecuted are subject to terrorism prevention and investigation measures.